ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2024, 10:38 AM   #1
jwolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport MT N-55 / Z4 3.0i

Trunk Wiring Loom/Harness Failure

I needed to replace the rubber grommet (elephant trunk) that feeds the few wires that go to the trunk. One thing for most of you out there need to know, is those wires insulation ages very poorly. I was not having any issues with the wires, but pulling the connections off the 3rd brake light, the lock, and pulling it through the grommet was all it took to cause the insulation to crumble exposing copper stranded wire. So, if you go into the trunk wiring for any reason, make sure you have shrink wrap and loom tape. You are in for a job. The kicker is that BMW, and others, used soy in the wires not in the engine bay in this era. That seems to be the cause. My car has lived a sheltered life and this still happened. I can only imagine how a car that has lived in the sun will look. One last note: I de-pinned a couple of connectors to allow me to pull the loom through the grommet, but i wrapped the smaller ones up in electrical tape close to the loom and pulled them through the rubber grommet. I think I could have pulled them all through that way. One connector back there is unused on the 2005 model. Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 1
3002 tii2387.00